Tuesday, May 15, 2012

new town blues



I am a current sufferer of hay fever for the first time ever. Hay fever is so foreign to me that I didn't even realise I had it until I noticed my fluctuating "cold" symptoms. My cousin and I discuss what our parents must think of us from time to time. We moved away from all the luxuries of home (car, cable, decent wages...) to struggle in New York.
We make little wage (well, much less then what we would get in Sydney), live in shitty flats, have no clothes or wardrobe space and now I have hay fever. HAY FEVER. Of all the things I thought might be bothering me in my life right now, hay fever was never something that even crossed my mind. Its not a huge deal, but its an inconvenience that I never thought I would have to deal with. 

Moving to a new city is hard. I lucked out and got an amazing deal on an extremely decent apartment so I at least didn't have to deal with that. But New York is gross. Its dirty, loud and obnoxious. When people ask me why I wanted to move here I can honestly never think of a better answer other than "...because I like it..?" It sounds silly, but I do like it. I can't imagine living in Sydney again, at least for the next few years. The struggle is hard, and it's sometimes lonely but in the end I think it's worth it. I like gross things and you can't have fun without getting your hands dirty at least 75% of the time. And I am humored by obnoxiousness.

If you're wondering what I'm wearing in the above picture, its a Uniqlo dress. It actually shrank in the dryer, but I rewashed it and hung it on a hanger to dry vertically so now its a (semi) decent length. And for those who are wondering further - yes that is how I always look. Always unimpressed and always making judgements.

No comments:

Post a Comment